Hello! My name's Hannah Longmuir and I'm an animal artist from the Scottish Borders. My weapon of choice is my pencil and using it I create drawings of all sorts of animals, including horses.
Horses have wonderful personalities! Whether stubborn, spirited, cheeky, bossy, aloof, gentle or sociable, each has its own distinctive traits. It's up to me to capture that personality in my drawings.
I have a challenge for you…I want you to produce a drawing of your horse! You can send them into the nice people at Likit (email@example.com) and they'll post your drawings on the blog. We're looking for drawings packed with personality!
So here are some tips for Capturing Pony Personality:
- With horses, it's all in the ears. Ears forward, ears flat, ears pricked, one ear up one ear down… horses communicate a lot with their ears - attentiveness, relaxation, anxiety.
- It's always good to have a little twinkle in the eye for a drawing! Half closed eyes can be a sign of a happy, relaxed horse.
- Horses can do wonderful things with their nostrils- flared, exhaling, twitching, affectionate nuzzling, stretched out in anticipation of grooming.
- The way a horse holds her head is very expressive of temperament and intention, and also of how alert she is.
- And last, but definitely not least, we have the teeth and the lips- those glorious rubbery lips stretched over teeth can signify a variety of intentions! A lower lip pulled back during grooming can show pleasure, an upper lip over bared teeth can show anger.
Most of my clients prefer drawings of their horse looking happy and relaxed, unsurprisingly, but occasionally I get to draw a slightly more comedic pose, like this hungry horse...
You can use whatever medium you like to create your drawing. I like to build up layers of lines using my pencil to create texture in my drawings, but you could use paint or crayons or collage or a biro! I mostly draw from photographs (I'm not fast enough for live action) so getting a good photograph is the key for me (some tasty treats like polos or Likit treats can help the process along!).
You can email your drawings to: firstname.lastname@example.org or share on the Likit Facebook page.
To see more of my drawings or to commission a drawing visit www.hannahlongmuir-artist.co.uk or 'like' my Facebook page
We are keeping the bottom of this article free for our fans drawings, can't wait to see them...
Lorna Ward: Rose Lewis
Rose Lewis Hayley Young
Harriet Smith, 14 Jenny Deakin Pet Artist Karen Young
Emily May Rebekah Adshead Stacy Green